Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 4











Lily had another rough night Wednesday night. Even though she had the procedure earlier that day to keep the hole in her heart open, her oxygen levels were still not high enough. It was decided that she needed to go back on a type of medicine called prostaglandins. We were hopeful that the ballon septostomy would eliminate the need for these medications as there are some risks. However, the doctors decided she needed the prostaglandins and started her on them last night. This caused her to spike a fever of 102.7. By the time Lee and I got in there today her fever had subsided and her oxygen levels were right on target. Lori, her nurse today, used Lily's blankets from her great grandmother (my mommom) to make her nice and cozy. All of the nurses seem to have their own little tricks for making Lily more comfortable and more at home. Lee and I brought her an angel stuffed animal to keep her company and a special gift from one of Lily's first "heart" friends, Camden. I've connected with Camden's mom, Patty, through an organization called The Children's Heart Foundation (www.childrensheartfoundation.org). Camden sent Lily a special dog stuffed animal and you can see it in the pictures- it's her watch dog, watching over her in the CICU. Camden is 6 and has his own incredible story to share when he was as little as Lily. It's been so hopeful to hear his story and his mom has been an amazing resource and friend for me.

Lily's coloring looked great and by the end of today we were able to hold our little angel for the first time. It was a special special moment that we'll always treasure. There was not a dry eye in the place.

14 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see her again today. Give her a kiss from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hair bow, Lily! Ava has a similar angel that prays when you squeeze her...she still prays with her! You're certainly a fighter, Miss Lily... I can't wait to meet you!!

    Christine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was like Christmas morning over here when Camden saw the picture of Lily with her watch dog. He said "I think I know why they changed her name to Lily. Lily starts with the letter L and so does Love."

    We are continuing to pray and we are cheering for you. The picture of Lily in your arms is pure joy!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little Camden is one smart fella. I couldn't have said it better.What a nice role model he'll make for Lily. It's so great to see pictures of her with her mommy and daddy. Lee, I think the crook of your arm was made just to hold her. She fits perfectly. and look how calmly she lies in the arms of her mommy.Thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us. I can't wait to share them with the ladies at the nursing home. There won't be a dry eye. God bless you all. You fill my heart with such love and hope and joy and peace each time I read about or see Lily pictures. I hope you realize how special you are for Lily to have chosen you to be her parents. Keep up the wonder. Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard and I are Proud Grt Aunt and Uncle. She is beautiful just like her Mommy and STRONG - Strength and FAITH, xo mollie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these pics are just absolutely wonderful, thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of you guys!!! I'm checking back daily, and I sent your blog to my parents today so they can see cute Lily! I'll be saying some prayers for Monday...one day at a time. xoxo, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures brought a tears to my eyes. I know how much you have been wanting to hold her!!!! You both look like naturals, you will all have a wonderful life together. I will be thinking of all of you on Monday.
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the family Lily!!
    We're sending lots of love and prayers from Ohio for our newest McManus. Get that girl home soon.
    Love, Mare & Gates

    ReplyDelete
  9. And not a dry eye here reading and see those pictures of you holding your precious baby. Savor all those "firsts."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bring out the tissues! You and Lee look so happy holding beautiful Lilly! She is a much loved little girl and is truly blessed to have you and Lee as parents. Will have my prayers going out Monday.
    Love, Mary Louise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Little Lily is beautiful. Thanks for all of the updates. We'll be thinking of you and praying on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura,
    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers today.
    Love,
    Donna Marie Mongelli

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, you are so strong!!! I can't imagine all the stress and nerves you're dealing with, but with your positive outlook I know everything will be alright!! You and Lee are so great and Lily is such a sweet pea! I'm sorry that everything is so hectic for you, but a couple years down the line you all will be thinking just how much closer it brought you when Lily is up getting us water ice! hehe. Love you lots and thinking about you throughout the day!!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I heard you were having a girl I was so excited! Now I am even more excited because my new beautiful baby cousin made it through the surgery. I think of Lily every day and pray for her every night. I can't wait to see her!

    Nora

    ReplyDelete