Monday, January 11, 2010

Surgery Day

Today was the big surgery day. Dr. Spray performed an arterial switch open heart surgery to reposition the pulmonary artery and the aorta. They were in the opposite position of where they should be (transposed). When the aorta and the pulmonary artery are in the opposite position, the body receives unoxygenated (blue) blood instead of the oxygenated (red) blood it needs. The lungs receive the red blood rather than the normal blue. The arterial switch surgery moves the two main blood vessels to their proper position.

We got to the hospital at 7 am to spend some time with Lily before her surgery. Her surgery ended up being pushed back because of another case but that just gave us a little more time with her. We met with Dr. Spray prior to the surgery. I felt like all I did that morning was watch the clock with mixed emotions- part of me wanted the time to stand still while the other part of me wanted the surgery to get started. We've prepared and prepared and now it was here. Lee and I were able to walk her down to the OR and saying good bye may have been the single most difficult thing either of us has ever done before. I tried my hardest to be strong but that was just next to impossible. The next several hours seemed to last an eternity. Our nurse, Christine, was wonderful and updated us with every major development. It took an hour of prep work with Dr. Stevens and his anesthesia team to get Lily ready. The arterial switch itself with Dr. Spray took about two hours then another hour to close. We were updated throughout the surgery and met with Dr. Spray post-op. The surgery went well, there were no surprises, the coronary arteries (which are the size of hairs) did not present too much difficulty when they were repositioned, they were able to close her chest (sometimes because of bleeding they leave the chest open for a day or so), and overall things looked good. The next 48 hours are critical and Lily still is not breathing on her own. They hope to take her off the ventilator tomorrow. Lee and I got to see her tonight. Nothing can prepare you for seeing your baby the first time after heart surgery. Lily's machines around her crib had multiplied, life saving medication was being pumped into her body, a chest tube was draining from her chest, and the surgical band aides running down her chest were frightening. She looked so helpless laying there but I have to remember that all of this is there to save her life. I think one of the saddest things for me was seeing two little tears in the corners of her eyes. She definitely has the Devinney tear ducts. Lee and I would have traded places with her in a heart beat but we just have to keep in mind that she will not remember this day even though it's one we'll never forget.

Thank you everyone for keeping Lily in your thoughts and prayers. As I said to Dr. Spray, the words "thank you" just do not seem adequate in this situation. We are eternally grateful that he saved our daughter's life. We feel the same way towards all of you that have been closely following Lily's story and keeping her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for updating us on such a huge day for your new family. I have been refershing the blog every 10 minutes all morning. What an amazing team and doctor. Our prayers continue for Lily's recovery. All our love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful news.

    God bless everyone who took care of Lily today, especially Dr. Spray.

    With gratitude,

    Patty, Devon, Colin and Camden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strength and love to all three of you!
    Love, Mara, Mark and Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,
    the two of you and baby Lily are in my thoughts and prayers. You are one strong woman and it looks like Lily is too.

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    Sandy McKeown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    Lily is beautiful! You, Lily, and Lee are in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing Lily a fast recovery!

    Much love,
    Ann Naragon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so, so glad to hear that all went as planned today. What a little fighter, and what an amazing team of doctors you have. I have been thinking of you guys and your fams all weekend. My mom and dad send their love and we all wish Lily a speedy & full recovery. I will be checking back in to see how she's doing. xoxo, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,
    What a day for all 3 of you, but it is now over and the best is yet to come. I'm still praying and I can't wait for your next blog entry to hear how well Lily is doing.
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura & Lee

    My prayers are for you and Lily.
    I know she will come through this
    well.Keep the faith.

    Love---Uncle Ed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura,
    I think I have the Devinney tear ducts reading this heart-warming story! Ava asks about Baby Lily all the time and she and I love seeing her pictures. She is a strong little girl. We continue to pray nightly for a quick recovery!

    Love, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura and Lee,
    We are so thankful that you and Lily have come through this surgery so well. Take care of yourself as well so that you may enjoy this blessed child. You are in our prayers.
    Love, Helen and Uncle Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura,

    I am so glad to hear Lily's surgery went well! You and your family have been such an inspiration! You have been so strong and positive throughout everything. You have taught Lily how to be strong as well!! Take Care of yourself and stay healthy. You, Lily, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

    Take Care,
    Erin Laird

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura & Lee,
    My Jenny just sent me your blog. I am SO sorry to hear of Lily's problems. I will keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Laura, Lee, & Families,

    I feel inexplicable joy and relief reading this news about Lily's successful surgery. It is superb!!!!!! It's as wonderful as your unwavering dedication at her side. My heart goes out to you and Lee, Laura, for the two of you have had the courage to be strong, loving, and brave parents every minute since Lily's been born, keeping your faith while multiplying your joys in all of us. You epitomize selfless love, a miracle like your beautiful and strong baby girl. I can't wait to meet her and to see you both!!!!!
    I am praying for Lily and your family daily.
    God bless Lily and all of you.
    Love,
    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Laura,
    I am so glad Lily's surgery was a success. Everyone at BC has you in their prayers. This blog will be wonderful to share with Lily when she's old enough and all of this will just be a distant memory. Wishing Lily a speedy recovery.
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura, Lee and Lilly,
    So happy to see things are moving in the right direction. Laura and Lee, my husband as told me you will be amazed how children can bounce back from surgery in such a short time. Please contacts us if you need any help. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Kit and Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura,
    I am thrilled to see that the surgery went so well - bless your wonderful hospital staff. Thank you for the daily updates - love and prayers still going strong for Lily.

    Love,
    Mary Louise

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi laura & lee
    as of yesterday it looks like things are going well for lily. i will keep up the prayers, and know everything will be fine.
    love---uncle ed

    ReplyDelete