Wednesday, January 13, 2010

48 Hours Post-Op





We certainly have a strong little girl on our hands. Lily is making exceptional strides. The doctors removed her arterial line this morning. The dressing for her chest was removed. It looks so sore to me. The air is supposed to help heal it and we are not supposed to put anything on it. It will heal on its own. Her pain meds were gradually taken away and she was placed on Tylenol. The nurses and doctors can tell if she is in pain by monitoring her blood pressure, other vital signs, and irritability. Her nurse Emily said that she was only cranky when she was hungry or needed a diaper change. Everything looked good and she was doing what normal newborns do- eat and sleep. I got to hold her today and it was just glorious! We both just want to snuggle with her and hold her tight. By 5:30 this evening it was decided upon that Lily was ready to move down to the Cardiac Care Unit/Step-Down Unit. We really could not believe this incredible news. It was just 50 hours ago that she was in surgery. We were not questioning the doctors' decisions but we just could not believe that Lily was ready to be moved so quickly. She does not require the one-on-one care that the cardiac intensive care unit provides. My brother-in-law John calls her Super Lily and that's a perfect way to describe her. She is such a strong and determined little thing. We just love her so much. It's amazing how much love you can feel for someone. I guess it's a right of passage into parenthood but I never could have guessed it would be such an utterly amazing feeling.

We know that there are many people praying, sending positive energy, and keeping Lily in their thoughts. Perhaps this progress is a collective effort and our miracle baby will continue to surprise all of us.

I had a follow-up visit with my obstetrician this afternoon. We are going to monitor my blood pressure daily and keep close tabs on my headaches. My blood pressure was high again yesterday and I am still getting headaches. I am just so nervous that I'll get sick again and I know that it is imperative that I take care of myself. We may just have Miss Lily coming home sooner than we had originally planned.

8 comments:

  1. She looks great! Just look at her looking up at you, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that everything is going pretty smoothly. I know it must have been so scary for you guys, but you did great it seems!!! Little Lily girl is so strong just like you both!!! She is such a beautiful little girl!Praying for her everyday!!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wonder if clare will be taking care of her now...that would be great...i will look into it!!
    eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in awe of Super Lily. Out of the CICU just 48 hours after surgery!

    The pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    Camden is sending high fives to Lily, her parents, and all the people at CHOP.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura & Lee,

    This is Lisa's friend Deb. I just heard about little Lily and read your blog. I am in tears while smiling after reading about your new family. My little Maya is just about to turn 1 year old after spending her 1st 3 months in the hospital. Lily's personality sounds a lot like Maya to me. Feisty and a fighter! That's just what Maya needed and that's just what Lily needs too.

    She is absolutely beautiful - the love you have for her is so apparent. What a blessing that she'll be coming home soon, and although you give well-deserved credit to the Drs, your devotion plays a huge roll as well. Best of luck and remember to take care of yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! This Is Larkin! Lily is so cute!!! I am sorry of what happened to her and I think that she is a strong baby! She is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so
    cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell her that I said hi! it is very suprising to me that she got moved down to a different unit so quickly! She must be very strong! She is so so so beautiful, too! I am so glad to have a second cousin like her! Good Luck to you and I hope to see you guys soon!


    Lots of Love,

    Larkin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to hear that Lily is doing so well! I am also delighted to hear that the surgery went so well! I wish the best of wishes! GIve a hug to Lily for me! -Rekha

    ReplyDelete